To whom do you turn for support and resources as a woman over forty? Do you confide in family members, neighbors, co-workers, or high school friends? Perhaps the answer is no one.
As midlifers, we experience daily challenges, particularly to our situations and ages. The sandwich generation, as we are sometimes called, is pulled in multiple directions as we caretake our parents and children, our jobs and romances, our changing bodies, and plummeting hormones. We yearn for emotional support and comradery to maintain a sense of balance and clarity.
Thankfully, with the rise of social media, we no longer rely on proximity to establish connections to people with whom we can relate. Facebook groups are a prime example of a tool that can help us find quality connections. According to the Pew Research Center, only eighteen percent of Facebook users are women ages forty-five to sixty-four. However, there is no shortage of groups dedicated to midlifers and boomers. In fact, the task of narrowing down hundreds or thousands of social groups is daunting.
But fear not my friend. I have narrowed the choices by eliminating groups of less than two hundred people and those that allow men to join. Sorry, fellas! My list of 25 fantastic Facebook groups for midlifers and boomers is for women only. Of course, the exceptions are groups created for singles and finding romance.
Support of All Sort
- The Latte Lounge (Top Tips 4 Women Over 40!) This “virtual coffee shop for all women over 40, 50, and BEYOND” is a delightful forum to contribute interesting articles, health recommendations, advice, and news. It was formerly called Top Tips 4 Women Over 40.
- Over 40, Fearless & Free (Women’s Group) is a safe place to share inspiring books, tips, and delicious recipes. There is a maximum of six posts per day to keep down the number of notifications you receive.
- 40+ Women Divorce Support Group is dedicated to helping those who are separated, divorced, or widowed. You may ask questions or offer guidance to make the most out of one of life’s most stressful situations.
- Rocking Midlife – Join the crowd and connect with fantastic ladies from around the world. You can indulge in humorous videos and memes or seek comfort and counsel.
- Women Over 50 ROCK was established to empower women with themed days like ‘Monday Motivation’ and ‘Tuesday Tips.’ While the group is mainly one of support, you are allowed to promote your Facebook page or a product/service on Fridays.
- Forever Fierce: The Midlife Revolution – The name says it all. This collaborative community was founded to “shift the perception of women at midlife and beyond.” Although this group emphasizes style and fashion, various topics are welcome for discussion.
- My Side of 50 covers issues like health, retirement, food, fashion, travel, grandchildren, and aging parents. It’s a one-stop-shop for midlifers and boomers who want to establish virtual friendships.
- The Flock (of TheMuttonClub.com) – Meet, chat up, and laugh with feisty, outspoken ladies here. Topics vary, and there are no holds barred. You may also promote your business page on Fridays.
- Midlife Moms is for women who have babies or toddlers a little later than most. I am not a member, but I imagine the talk and advice revolve largely around parenting small children and the struggles of midlife motherhood.
- Having Babies Over 40 (Women Only) – If you are planning to get pregnant or are pregnant or recently gave birth, then you will be welcome here. It’s a supportive, friendly crowd of “kindred spirits ready to welcome you.”
- Moms with College Kids – When the hatchlings fly off, you may need tips on how to handle this transition or how to accept your empty nest. Members also discuss college admissions, internships, and surviving ‘adult children.’
Health, Fitness, and Wellness
- Day Off Diet Support for Women Over 50 assists midlifers in their struggle with weight loss. Everyone benefits from the tips, strategies, stories, and recipes shared amongst members.
- Peri / Menopause Support Group gives direction to those in the beginning stages of menopause or those who have been experiencing this transition for years.
- ForeverHer – This group focuses on wellness and exercise trends for ladies who are thirty-five plus. Members offer tips, encouragement, and reviews to inspire you to stay fabulously fit.
Relationships, Dating, and Romance
- The Original- Over 40 Single Mingle is a “make friends and see what happens” kind of crowd. You are encouraged to share pictures, discuss events, and arrange meetups.
- For Over 50 Senior Singles, Dating is similar to the group above. However, the admins strictly forbid anyone under fifty from joining.
- World Wide Senior Dating ad Romance – Don’t let the name of this club discourage you from joining if you are a midlifer. Singles forty and up are accepted if they have a Facebook profile with a picture of themselves.
Style, Beauty, and Fashion
- Beauty Q&A…Insider Tips – This is a U.K. only group for women to share, ask about, and learn beauty tips. They frequently discuss trends and which products and services they prefer and why.
- Ageism is Never in Style – Don’t you love the name? The group was created for women who feel ignored by the fashion industry simply because of their ages. Feel free to contribute style tips, blog posts, and inspiring stories.
- Mamas Over 40 Who Love Makeup, Fitness, and Fashion! – This bunch of gals is, of course, into chatting about style, clothes, makeup, and fitness. They share the latest trends and discuss releases and give reviews.
- Style Your Way to Success Over Fifty was created by a midlife image stylist. Interact with this empowering tribe by giving advice, asking questions, or posting pictures of your confidence in boosting outfits.
- Silver Foxy is all about women (and the occasional man) who want to maintain natural, silver hair. Contribute tutorials, tips, videos, and pictures of yourself and your lovely locks.
Related Reading – Midlife Reinvention; Is it Time for a Professional Pivot?
For Writers and Business Owners
- The Women of Midlife is one of my favorite groups for female bloggers. Ladies share one another’s articles on social media and offer support on various topics.
- 40 Plus Blogs is a resource for those who want to produce and read great content. Writers can share their work with people who truly appreciate it.
- Better After 50 Writers and Friends is a forum where freelance writers and their readers connect and contribute content. Better After 50 itself is an amazing online magazine for “women entering their next phase.
I sincerely hope you discovered a few groups that piqued your interest on this list. After all, we need to vent and share our successes and frustrations occasionally. Do you remember the intro to the show Cheers? “Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.” My apologies if that song gets stuck in your head for a while.
Do you belong to any fantastic Facebook groups for midlifers and boomers? If so, don’t keep it a secret. Please share the names so we can all join.
Life is better when we lift each other up.