Keeping a sense of humor is imperative for mothers. Well, that and access to a steady supply of fine wine, good chocolate, and a quality bathroom door lock. Or is that just me? In any case, when your children or grandchildren are driving you batty, take a deep breath, count to ten, and remind yourself that you are not alone.
There is nothing more challenging than parenting and nothing more rewarding. Our darlings stress us out, make us cry, cause us to laugh, and bring us joy. I am comforted that others, more talented than I, have put this profound experience into words. Enjoy these 15 funny quips and wittiest quotes about motherhood.
1. “The hand that rocks the cradle is usually attached to someone who isn’t getting enough sleep.” – John Fiebig
2. “Working mothers are guinea pigs in a scientific experiment to show that sleep is not necessary to human life.” – Unknown
3. “Mama does everything for the baby, who responds by saying ‘Dada’ first.”
– Mignon McLaughlin
4. “I had to get back to work. NBC has me under contract. The baby and I only have a verbal agreement.” – Tina Fey
5. “What would men be without women? Scarce, sir…mighty scarce.” – Mark Twain
6. “No Matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement.” – Florida Scott Maxwell
7. “A worried mother does better research than the FBI.” – Unknown
8. “Being a working mom is not easy. You have to be willing to screw up at every level.” – Jami Gertz
9. “I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then I want to move in with them.” – Phyllis Diller
10. “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” Jane Sellman
It’s a nerve-wracking experience. pic.twitter.com/PgEKV4eOqV
— The Glad Stork (@TheGladStork) August 10, 2016
11. “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” – Milton Berle
12. “I know how to do anything. I’m a mom.” – Roseanne Barr
13. “When your children are teenagers, it’s important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you.” – Nora Ephron
14. “Never let your mom brush your hair when she’s mad at your dad.” – Gallagher
15. “If your kids are giving you a headache, follow the directions on the aspirin bottle, especially the part that says ‘keep away from children.'” – Susan Savannah
Related Reading: 17 Powerful Quotes from Pioneering Businesswomen
Do you feel better now? I hope that brought a smile to your face. If you liked this list of funny quotes about motherhood, share it with the women you love. We all deserve a chuckle…and a spa day…and a vacation. Just sayin’.