Keeping a sense of humor is imperative for mothers. Well, that and access to a steady supply of fine wine, good chocolate, and a quality bathroom door lock. Or is that just me? In any case, when your children or grandchildren are driving you batty, take a deep breath, count to ten, and remind yourself that you are not alone.
There is nothing more challenging than parenting and nothing more rewarding. Our darlings stress us out, make us cry, cause us to laugh, and bring us joy. I am comforted that others, more talented than I, have put this profound experience into words. Enjoy these 15 funny quips and wittiest quotes about motherhood.
1. “The hand that rocks the cradle is usually attached to someone who isn’t getting enough sleep.” – John Fiebig
2. “Working mothers are guinea pigs in a scientific experiment to show that sleep is not necessary to human life.” – Unknown
3. “Mama does everything for the baby, who responds by saying ‘Dada’ first.”
– Mignon McLaughlin
4. “I had to get back to work. NBC has me under contract. The baby and I only have a verbal agreement.” – Tina Fey
5. “What would men be without women? Scarce, sir…mighty scarce.” – Mark Twain
6. “No Matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement.” – Florida Scott Maxwell
7. “A worried mother does better research than the FBI.” – Unknown
8. “Being a working mom is not easy. You have to be willing to screw up at every level.” – Jami Gertz
9. “I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then I want to move in with them.” – Phyllis Diller
10. “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” Jane Sellman
It’s a nerve-wracking experience. pic.twitter.com/PgEKV4eOqV
— The Glad Stork (@TheGladStork) August 10, 2016